Sunday, January 30, 2011

Happy New Year!!









Welcome Year of the Rabbit! I heard rabbit years are lucky years. I sure hope so!


I LOVE Chinese New Year! I wish we celebrated for 15 days like people in China. I wish I could spend time with my family and not have to go to work. Sigh. I suppose that is what Christmas is for. I learned that I could celebrate the new year 12 months out of the year if I really wanted to. That's not a bad idea! Check out this link for more information.

We started this year's Chinese New Year celebration by going to the International District in Seattle (I still think it ought to be called Chinatown, but that's no longer PC) to watch the Dragon and Lion dances. We had so much fun following the lions into restaurants. We loved watching them reach for the cabbage head (it's lettuce so I'm not sure why they always call it cabbage) to retrieve the red envelopes. The lions must come to scare away the evil spirits and bring good luck to businesses for the following year. (I wish the lions would have visited our state capitol building to bring a little good luck to the education budget and scare away a few evil spirits...)

After Chinatown, we enjoyed the activities at the Westminster Chapel's Lunar New Year celebration. Here are a couple of videos from our fabulous day:

Chinatown:

Westminster Chapel:

1 comments:

Mia said...

Thank you for organizing this...Stacey