I remember Robert Fulghum discussing in one of his books about the science experiment with his lawn. His wife felt that an unraked lawn was not only unattractive but it wasn't good for the lawn. She also implied that an unraked lawn was a sign of laziness. He decided to make a science project out of their lawn. His wife raked half and he allowed his half to collect leaves.
I often think about Robert Fulghum and his science experiment as I mow over the leaves in my yard without raking first. I used to rake. I used to care about my lawn. I don't care so much anymore. There are too many trees. Too many big leaf maples. Too many leaves. Raking is no fun.
Last night, as I started to mow, Rachel came out and insisted on raking before I mowed. She is more of a perfectionist than I am. I really wanted to get the lawn mowed so I told her to rake one area and I would mow the rest. It will be our little experiment. Will the lawn she raked produce the best grass or will the unraked-just-mulch-the-leaves-as-you-mow lawn produce the best grass? Time will tell. I love science experiments.

Here is a close up view of the grass after being raked by Rachel and mowed by me. It certainly is nice and green. I wonder if Rachel's nicely raked lawn will produce the best grass??
Here is a picture of the part of the lawn that I mowed without raking....mowed part on the right and unmowed on the left. I think it mulches rather nicely:)
Here is a close up view of the before and after mulching and mowing job. It will be a great science experiment to see which area of grass grows the best.




The sunset was beautiful so after mowing the lawn, Erin Joy and I walked to the river to enjoy it. (Rachel was too tired after all that raking. Erin Joy didn't rake. She played. She wasn't tired.)



Just because they are cute, here is a video I took the other day of the girls playing on the neighbor's trampoline.
I'm sure she really wanted to rake just so she could jump in the pile of leaves...
(not sure why this is underlined and can't figure out how to get rid of it...)
The sunset was beautiful so after mowing the lawn, Erin Joy and I walked to the river to enjoy it. (Rachel was too tired after all that raking. Erin Joy didn't rake. She played. She wasn't tired.)










0 comments:
Post a Comment