Monday, May 18, 2009

Fabulous Weekend (whale watching and hiking)

We went whale watching with my fourth graders on Saturday.  It was fabulous!  The weather was perfect, the company was perfect, and we saw whales--J-pod--my favorite pod!  In addition to my fourth grader, my parents came from Idaho, and our cousins joined us.  

I didn't get ANY good pictures of whales.  I did get a few, but they weren't as good as the pictures other people got. I'm hoping others will share.

I made a little movie, but there are too many pictures of my school kids and I don't want to put it on this blog for privacy reasons. If you want to see good pictures of whales, check out the little movie my cousin made on his family blog.  Click here. 

We were fortunate enough to have one whale swim right towards the boat and go under our boat.  There are laws preventing whale watching boats from getting within 100 yards of whales, but when one swims toward the boat, it can't be helped.  Of course, I didn't get a picture of the whale, but it was incredible.

The only bad part of the trip was a speeding ticket.  I really need to control my lead foot...

A whale watching boat similar to the one we were on:
Just a little windy on our boat (this is my favorite picture...)
We are SO GLAD Grandma and Grandpa came with us!!!


After whale watching we enjoyed playing by the river.


Hiking to an old railroad tunnel the next morning....


Rough trail over a rock slide...
Can you see the old railroad?

One of the many railroad tunnels along the old Monte Cristo railroad (the only tunnel we could get to safely...)

3 comments:

Dan Ward said...

It was so much fun to hang out Stacey. Thanks for including is on this awesome adventure! :)

monica said...

Beautiful pictures and what a nice adventure. Blessings to your girls. Monica

Kristi said...

I love the wind picture too! It looks like you all had a lot of fun! There is an old rail road bike trail on the Montana/Idaho border that you should have David take you to sometime. It is really beautiful and you get to cross over a lot of bridges.