If you are interested, here is the recipe:
8 slices bacon
3 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
8 cups water
2 T chicken bouillon granules
1 large can packed pumpkin
1 T sugar
1 tsp thyme
1 cup milk
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the bacon in a heavy pot. Remove from heat, crumble, and set aside. In the same pot, mix the oil, onion, carrots, and celery. Saute for 15 minutes. Stir in water, bouillon, pumpkin, sugar, thyme, and crumbled bacon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
2. Pour the soup in batches into a blender and puree. Return to the pot. Mix in the mild, nutmeg, and curry powder. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with cheddar and Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
How I modified it because I can never follow the recipe....
*I left out the milk...we only have soy milk in our house (milk issues with the girls) and I didn't think that would taste very good
*I also didn't puree the soup in the blender....I thought it tasted fine the way it was so I left it a little chunky rather than creamed it
*I added more curry because I love curry and I think the curry is what made the soup good, so be generous with the curry...I just dumped some in...I at least doubled the curry
*I added more curry because I love curry and I think the curry is what made the soup good, so be generous with the curry...I just dumped some in...I at least doubled the curry
It makes a great Halloween soup! You should all try it at least once.
Last year, we made pumpkin ice cream and that was really good too. We might have to do that later. Maybe for Thanksgiving....
Usually we have roasted pumpkin seeds too because they are so yummy and the girls really enjoy roasting the seeds from their pumpkins. I shouldn't have turned the oven up while cleaning the house and reading a good book. I totally forgot about my baking pumpkin seeds until black smoke started coming from the oven. Darn. I'll have to wait until next Halloween and try it again.










0 comments:
Post a Comment