Saturday, July 11, 2009

Back to Washington

Our first stop on the way home was at an Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Baker City, Oregon.  I thought it was interesting.  The girls were pretty bored, but glad to get out of the car for a stretch.


After completing a little workbook, Rachel was sworn in as a "Junior Wagon Master."  She was very excited to get a plastic bracelet.  Erin Joy wrote random letters and drew pictures in her booklet.  She wasn't sworn in as a junior wagon master, but she did get a bracelet.


We camped at Emigrant Springs just like the Oregon Trail pioneers did...well kind of...we had a nice rustic cabin with electricity.

Wagon at the campground and trail marker:
Wagon ruts at the Blue Mountain Crossing:

We went to the Tamastslikt Cultural Center near Pendleton (I had to include this picture so I could spell it correctly).  It was very well done and a fun place to visit.  They didn't allow pictures inside the museum, but I took plenty of the exhibits outside.



We then visited the Fort Walla Walla museum.  We really enjoyed the pioneer village.
The girls said their favorite building was the doll playhouse.

We then went to the Whitman Mission.  The girls had fun grinding wheat.
This is where the mission once stood.
This memorial was erected in 1897, 50 years after the massacre. I'm not sure why they built in on top of a hill that we had to climb.  It was a hot day and we were very sweaty and tired by the time we reached the top.  It was nice to be welcomed by a drinking fountain.
Just for my father, we stopped at the Sacajawea Museum at the Sacajawea State Park where the Snake River empties into the Columbia River.  My girls weren't disappointed that the museum closed at 5:00 and we arrived after 5:00, but I was a little disappointed.  Rachel was tired of pictures, but Erin Joy posed by the river.  There was a swimming area at the river, but we were too tired to swim.  Seriously.  I can't believe that none of us wanted to swim.  

We were too tired to make the final 6 hours of the drive home so we got a cheap motel last night.  We returned home today.  I have to unpack, do laundry, clean the car, and so forth.  I'd rather blog then take a nap.  The girls want me to play.  They miss their cousins already.  Me too.  I really don't want to play...I really want to take a nap...

0 comments: