It has been unbelievably hot. It rarely gets into the 90s let alone the 100s in the Northwest. We usually enjoy mild weather in the 70s during the summer. Anything hotter than 80 and we all panic. With the record breaking, high temperatures this week, we have been looking for ways to cool off.
The girls painted ceramic figures at a craft/art place that I have wanted to check out. I think it would be a great place for a birthday party for Erin Joy because she loves art. I thought it would be air conditioned and a nice break from the heat outside. There was no air conditioning, but the fans were nice.

We decided to go to the town library and learn about beads and beading. I figured the library would have air conditioning. Nope. No air conditioner in the library, but the program was moved to a community center next door. The community center had air conditioning. In fact, it was a "cooling center" especially kept cool for the elderly and other people who can't handle the heat. It was extra cold inside. NICE!!!!

We swam in our little pool outside. I have read several magazines and a good book (Weedflower) while sitting in the pool the past few days. I accidentally dropped my book in the water. It is a good thing it was an inexpensive book I bought for my school kids. Weedflower is a good book, by the way. It is about a girl who is forced to live in a camp located on an Indian reservation during WWII because of her Japanese ancestry. It is written for upper elementary or middle school aged children, but I enjoyed it.
The fire fighters have been spraying kids at local elementary schools and giving popsicles to the kids. It was a lot of fun. Well, Rachel had fun anyway. Erin Joy was too scared to play, but she did enjoy the popsicle and posed nicely for me by the fire truck.

The river near our house has been a great way of cooling off. The water level was higher today than it has been the past few days. The water is also full of sediment. The heat has melted snow in the mountains and carried a lot of sediment with it. It was pretty brown today. It felt refreshing so we didn't worry about the color of the river and just played.
The best way we have kept cool was we FINALLY bought a new car with air conditioning!!! JOY!!!! Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of my new car because it is being repaired. Just bought it yesterday and it didn't make it off the lot. We are driving a loaner car (with an air conditioner) until the car is fixed. It is still under warranty. I'm a little bit nervous about that, but I already signed the papers. I'll post pictures when I finally have possession of it. A part is being ordered and I should have my car in a week. Stay tuned.....










1 comments:
Hey, we also spent a few hours at cooling centers this week, in our case, at the library. The kids were thrilled to play games on the computers for a couple of hours, which I don't let them do at home.
We slept outside in our tent, too, which was much cooler than the house, if a little hard on my back.
We ate lots of Popsicles and had meals that didn't require any cooking.
- - - - - - -
A new car! I hope the mechanical problem is resolved quickly and once and for all.
Melissa
Post a Comment