We enjoyed the first annual pioneer day celebration at our church yesterday. In order to eat dinner, we had to earn 5 Pioneer Pennies by doing various jobs and chores. If we wanted beverages and dessert we had to earn even more pennies. The pennies could be used for fishing, greased pole climb (we didn't try this one), candy hunt, stick pulls, and other such activities.
My little family of three couldn't get this handcart up the hill. I'm not kidding. The little boy tried to help, but we still couldn't do it. I had to swallow my pride and accept help from a man. Gulp. We were just carrying a half load of bricks, too. I can't imagine pulling one of these things clear from Missouri with a full load. I would definitely have NEVER made it.

The jail was full when the rain started. It was certainly the most comfortable jail I have ever seen (the "Share If" was in charge).

Erin Joy loved grinding wheat. I loved sampling the various kinds of bread with homemade butter, jams, and honey.

Searching for candy was a fun activity that I'm sure the pioneers never did. We also pulled taffy, but I didn't take pictures.

Rachel thinks we should always wash our clothes like this.

The kid practiced wagon building skills by hammering nails into logs. I can't believe how much my girls loved this. They hammered a lot of nails.

Erin Joy loved fishing for silly little plastic Oriental Trading Company junk toys.

Making butter was a lot of fun and tasted great:)
0 comments:
Post a Comment