Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cooking with Erin Joy

Erin Joy happily posed with her friend after school today. Don't they look cute in their heart hats:)I am tired of my children complaining about dinner. Now they each have a day to cook. Rachel decided to cook personal pan pizza at Alfy's on her night. She and Erin Joy have been earning free personal pan pizzas for reading. I figure that's a good way to learn how to cook so I gave in to her cooking request.


Erin Joy had so much fun looking through a cook book I had as a child.

I loved my Junior Cook Book that my Aunt LaRee gave me in 1977. I was excited when my mother found the book and gave it back to me. When my mother gave it to me, I had to find my favorite recipe from my childhood, "Sunny Carrots." I remember how much I loved sunny carrots. Guess what the recipe is for sunny carrots??? Peel some carrots, cut them, put them in a pan with a little water, cover, cook, take off the stove, put some butter, salt and pepper on top. I'm not kidding. I wonder why I liked sunny carrots so much?

The book contains other delicacies such as: french fried potatoes (frozen french fries, add a little salt), grilled cheese sandwiches, S'Mores, scrambled eggs, french toast, baked potatoes, macaroni and cheese (made from a box), and so forth.

Erin Joy chose to make cinnamon twists (canned biscuit dough, butter, cinnamon sugar) which is another great recipe from my junior cook book. She also wanted brownies and cookies for dinner. We had a little lesson in the food groups and told her she couldn't have THREE desserts for dinner. She decided on hot dogs, green beans, and cinnamon twists.

It was a fabulous dinner planned and prepared by my sweet little chef. She happily posed again with a cinnamon twist and the special cookbook. (It looks burned, but it really wasn't. It was actually very good especially dipped in melted honey.)


1 comments:

bec said...

what a great idea! sounds like a good dinner erin joy!