Family home evening was interesting today (we have ours on Sunday). It is really hard to act out the nativity with only three people. We all have multiple parts. I was the donkey and one shepherd. Erin Joy was Mary and one wiseman. Rachel was the angel and Joseph. It was far from spiritual. Every year I'm always stuck being the donkey. I tried to convince my girls that just Mary rode the donkey and Joseph walked, but in our version both Mary and Joseph ride the donkey. Mary and Joseph are getting heavier every year and the donkey is getting weaker (fatter, but weaker).
Our version was far from accurate. I'm pretty sure Mary wasn't eating a candy cane and getting it stuck in the donkey's hair on the way to Bethlehem. I'm pretty sure Bethlehem isn't under the table. I'm pretty sure the angel didn't do a cartwheel and then stand on her head while delivering the message to the shepherds. I'm pretty sure Mary didn't dance around the tree with baby Jesus on her head. I'm pretty sure gold, frankincense, and myrrh weren't playdough, crayons, and a stuffed dog. Well, that's our version.
We used nativity pieces last week in family home evening and that was a little more spiritual...not much though. We'll read the story from the bible on Christmas Eve and hope for the best. I think last year our story ended up with lots of giggling. I hope my children have fun, but I hope they can feel something of the importance of Jesus coming to earth even if we get a little silly.
Fiber Monday - Correcting errors
6 days ago










1 comments:
I think that sounds like the way it must have happened! I'm sure it wasn't really a reverant thing, but more like your real life! :) What a great mom you are! (and donkey too)
Post a Comment