Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Laser Number Nine

We left the house at 4:30 in the morning. Poor Rachel sobbed and sobbed last night because I told her she would have to come with me to Children's Hospital because daycare wouldn't be open that early in the morning. She was so upset about missing kindergarten. This week is Teddy Bear Week and they were eating porridge today. The porridge was really oatmeal and she doesn't like oatmeal so I don't know why she was so upset. I ended up calling a friend who was nice enough to let me drop Rachel off at her house at 4:30 in the morning and drive her to kindergarten.

Erin Joy and I arrived, checked in, and were settled in the waiting area by 6:30. I took a picture of Erin Joy to show how much lighter her birthmark is. It is hardly visible on her temple and cheekbone.



She left for surgery at 7:30. The procedure lasted 30 minutes and she was awake at 8:15. She has never woken up so quickly before. She was happy, too! She is usually happy after surgery, but she has had a couple of really bad wake-ups involving screaming, kicking, and biting. I was grateful that she was pleasant today.





She ate four Popsicles, one cup of apple juice, and snuggled with her doggie and special towel while she recovered. When it was time for her to get dressed, I put her in the chair and got up to get her clothes. I turned my back for just a second and she got up out of the chair and promptly fell to the floor with a big crash. She landed partly on the hard floor and partly on the wheelchair. She said, "I falled" and started laughing. They were right about being dizzy after anesthesia. I'm grateful she wasn't hurt and continued to be happy. Silly girl!


We left the hospital at about 9:30. That is the fastest hospital visit we have ever had! Nice!

















Rachel sucks her thumb and picks at her special blanket to help her go to sleep. Erin Joy...well...Erin Joy sucks on her special towel and picks her nose to go to sleep.

(I'll use this picture as blackmail when she is a teenager!)


She recharged her batteries on the drive home.












We she got home, she discovered that Rachel had a surprise for her. Rachel filled up her "Good Day" chart at school and picked out a prize out of the treasure box. She choose a special bobbly headband for Erin Joy to match the other headband she chose last month. The girls happily played in the yard and now they are happily playing in the house while I blog. You would never know that Erin Joy had surgery this morning. She is doing great! Hopefully, she won't have any blisters or two much swelling. Blisters and swelling usually don't appear until the next day, but so far everything looks good!

4 comments:

bec said...

wow, what a nice sister! and Erin Joy, your cheek is looking pretty clear. amazing what they can do.

I am glad it went well. give erin joy a hug for me. she is pretty tough to come out happy.

Nikki said...

She looks beautiful :)

Just wanted to make sure you got my email about the blog makeover!

Nikki

Anonymous said...

I am glad that all went well for Erin Joy and her laser treatment. We have opted to done this year unless some issues come up due to various reasons.

How sweet of Rachel to think of her little sister. That is neat. Your blog looks great too.

Lana said...

Rachel was so nice to think of her sister!!