Saturday, March 1, 2008

Jillian Jiggs and Her Pigs

Rachel has been talking about this book for months. She has wanted to check it out every week, but other students in her class have had the same idea. It has become a popular book in kindergarten. The librarian at school read it to them one day. It is a very cute book about "Jillian, Jillian, Jillian Jiggs, maker of wonderful, marvelous pigs." Unfortunately, there are directions on the last page of the book for making a pig like Jillian Jiggs. This is why all the students want to read it. Apparently, somebody in Rachel's class made a pig and brought it to show-and-tell. Rachel has been very anxious to make her own pig. We finally made pigs last night.

We followed the directions for Erin Joy's pig and sewed everything on. I got a little smarter with Rachel's pig and brought out the hot glue gun. It took about 30 minutes to make Erin Joy's pig, bur Rachel's was finished in about five. I sure love hot glue guns.

They tied leashes onto their pigs and played with them like dogs all night. Rachel named hers "Lily" and Erin Joy named hers "Piggy."

Rachel was very offended when I said they looked like cucumbers with a face.

The pigs are going to school on a bus pulled by a Little Pony.

School was on the top bunk. They had everything arranged into a classroom until they saw me coming with the camera. They tried to hide under the blankets, but I took a quick picture seconds before the covers went over their heads.


Rachel kept trying unsuccessfully to give Erin Joy piggy back rides. Erin Joy is 4 or 5 pounds heavier than Rachel so it made it very difficult for Rachel. It also didn't help that they were giggling and being silly. They were being so cute that I ignored bedtime and had fun taking pictures. It's Saturday...maybe they'll sleep in.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Rachel,

I'm so happy that you finally got your chance to check out "Jillian". I love the pigs that you and your sister created! It is great to see kids doing art projects based on books.
Happy reading,
Mrs. Hitchcock