Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Rewards of Being a Teacher

Since I can blog at work, I am blogging when I should be grading papers and doing report cards. A student gave me a special apple today so I thought I would share with all of you.

A pile of apples for the teacher. In other words, apples that the kids don't want to eat. I don't want to eat them either...I generally throw them away at the end of the day.
My prize apple that prompted this post. "It's an apple for you. Sorry it got a little smushed in my backpack." Thanks! It's just what I wanted.
A pile of various gifts...one student brings me rocks every day.
Other lovely treasures from students (these gifts are actually either useful or special). The clay sculpture is incredible. It is from a former student who is a wonderful artist. The red rabbit is a gift from a student I taught years ago. He was in the burn center in the hospital near the school I used to teach at. He had been burned over 90% of his body. He had no nose, fingers, lips, and was missing a foot. He was in the hospital for his 20 something surgery. He was so positive, friendly, and happy ALL the time. He has been my inspiration.

I certainly get a lot of pictures. I hang them on the wall behind my desk. I should have taken a picture of the drawing a student drew of me. I look like a princess. My waist is probably 6 inches around. I do have a lot of curly hair and that is the only accurate thing about the picture. Funny how kids see my hair and not my fat :) I told Rachel and Erin Joy that I was on a diet so I couldn't eat any more candy. Rachel asked what that meant. I told her I needed to get smaller. She confused "smaller" with "shorter" and said, "Oh, I see. You are on a diet so you don't hit your head on the door." That's right. Someting like that....

UPDATE: Here is the picture of me that one of my students drew. Teeheehee! Check out that waist:)


1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Maybe those kids have the ability to see the "real" us. Maybe the fat isn't really that important. Thanks, you've given me something to think about!