Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spring Break Report



We had a wonderful trip to Vancouver, BC. It was a lot of fun to take the train and a very beautiful ride. The tracks go right by the coast for most of the trip. There were beautiful trees, ferns, and mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. We saw an amazing sunset on the way back. Riding a train is definitely more comfortable than an airplane. There is room to stretch out and we loved the "sightseeing car." My girls loved to play games in the sightseeing car and they loved the snack bar. I loved not driving with crying, arguing girls in the backseat. I loved playing games with my girls and relaxing. Crossing the border on the train was much faster and easier than it is when driving. I have been stuck at the peace arch between Washington and Canada for over an hour before. On the train, the border patrol quickly checked our passports and let us through with no trouble. I have had all sorts of questions asked when I try to cross the border with my girls before. They didn't ask any questions this time. It was a short three-hour, fairly inexpensive, beautiful, and fun way to get to Vancouver. I will definitely take the train again.

I was a little concerned about being in Vancouver without a car. Having a vehicle gives me a sense of freedom and security. I shouldn't have been concerned. Vancouver's public transportation system is wonderful. We ended up taking the sky train, buses, and sea bus to everywhere we wanted to go and we never even needed a taxi. The farthest we had to walk was a few blocks from our motel to a sky train station. Transportation was also very inexpensive and the same ticket could be used for all modes of transportation.

It's a good thing transportation was cheap because food was VERY expensive. Tickets to the various places we went were also very expensive. Unfortunately, the value of the US dollar has dropped so much that the exchange rate is definitely not good for US citizens. I tried not to think about it too much as I paid $50.00 for breakfast, $70.00 for gondola tickets, etc.

Erin Joy had a diarrhea problem in Chinatown. We couldn't find a bathroom quickly enough and it ended up all over her pants. We had to skip eating at a great restaurant to go back to the hotel to clean up. That was a little disappointing....

Vancouver is a beautiful city. I have enjoyed Stanley Park and other places in the past, but I have never been to Capilano and Grouse Mountain. I told the girls they could each choose one activity while in Vancouver. Rachel chose swimming in the hotel pool, Erin Joy chose riding a train, and I chose Capilano and Grouse Mountain.

We ran into friends from home at the hotel. We had no idea they were going to Vancouver for vacation! It was fun to see them there.

Since I am a teacher, I will grade our spring break activities:

A for the train ride. I already talked about our wonderful Amtrak ride so I won't repeat myself.

A and Highest honors to Capilano Suspension Bridge. It was absolutely beautiful. I was a little nervous crossing the bridge and I had to pretend to be brave because my girls were both terrified.

B for the Grouse Mountain Skyride. The views were amazing until we got to the top and found ourselves in a cloud. It was very expensive and would have been worth it if we would have skied or gone ice skating. We just looked around, ate an expensive lunch, and took pictures.

B for the Telus Science World. I thought the science demonstrations were very well done and the girls really enjoyed the shows. The exhibits were satisfactory, but nothing really exciting. It was a great way to entertain the girls before we had to catch the train back home.

A- for our hotel. The hotel was wonderful and deserved an "A," but I'm marking it down a little because it was expensive. The girls would give the swimming pool an "A." That was definitely their favorite part of the trip.

A for Vancouver's public transportation. It was so easy and convenient to use public transportation in Vancouver. We never waited more than 5 minutes for our sky train, city bus, or sea bus. Seattle needs to take lessons from Vancouver on transportation.

A for great potato chips. I love Canadian potato chips. Ketchup are my favorite. Other fun flavors include curry chicken, lime and chili, smokey bacon, fries 'n gravy, and so forth. Check out this article about Ketchup potato chips.

F for the money exchange rate. Argh....the value of the US dollar is really bad at the moment. It is the worst it has ever been when I have traveled to Canada....98%. Yikes! I remember when it was 60%.

F for Rachel's first souvenir choice. Speaking of money, I told the girls they could each choose one souvenir while we were at the Capilano Suspension Bridge to remember our trip. Erin Joy chose a little $3.99 tomahawk rattle. Rachel wanted something that cost $209.00. I'll make a poll and let you guess what she wanted. She cried when I told her she was absolutely not getting the $209 item. I had to clarify that her souvenir choice had to be $10.00 or less. She finally settled for a little stuffed wolf. I chose Ketchup potato chips for my souvenir.

A for our fun trip! I can't wait to take another fun trip with my great daughters in the future! They make excellent traveling companions!



2 comments:

bec said...

sounds like you had a lot of fun Stace! i wanted to vote for two things on your poll, figured it would be either the purse or the dress

Lisa and Tate said...

I give you an A for the fun travl log!!! I have never been to the NW and BC... kind of makes me want to head to BC and have some Ketchup chips or Curry Chips!!!

Lisa