Monday, November 10, 2008

Anything but the Cat....


Erin Joy had allergy testing today.  She is not allergic to any foods, but she is allergic to our house.  Dustmites and cats were the spots that had the biggest reaction.  NOT THE CAT!!!  I love our cat.  I almost cried in the doctor's office.  His advice was to find another home for the cat.  For now, the cat will stay outside and will certainly no longer be allowed to sleep with us.  I just can't bear to part with our sweet kitty.  She has become one of the family.


I'd love to get rid of the carpet and get hardwood floors.  I'm going to get an air filter, wash everything very well (including the cat), get covers for the mattress and pillows and see if that helps her constant nasal congestion and sneezing.

The doctor commented about her huge tonsils and suggested a trip to a ENT doctor.  I'm tired of doctors.  I don't want to find out that she needs her tonsils/adenoids removed.  We have seen enough doctors lately.  I just got off the phone with her pediatrician about testing for melamine kidney stones.  Between laser surgeries, allergies, melamine, immunizations, and tonsils/adenoids I have had enough and poor Erin Joy has too.

Her severe allergic reaction before Halloween was probably a result of a reaction to a virus compounded by being allergic to our house.  I hope it never happens again.  I really NEVER want to use the epi-pen that we now get to carry around with us.

By the way, we are watching the river rise again.  Please don't flood, please don't flood, please don't flood....

3 comments:

Lisa and Tate said...

Oh wow... those allergiv patches look ouchy! I have been plagued with allergies all my life .... simpathy for Erin Joy! Sorry about the cat!

Keith and Kelly said...

I am allergic to cats and dust mites as well, but still grew up with cats. They didn't sleep with me when I was young, but now they do as an adult. I always just tooks meds to help. I know there are other options too, if you really, really don't want to send your cat away.

I've enjoyed reading your blog - just discovered it. We live in the Seattle area too. We are adopting from Vietnam, but since it's closure, we are considering adopting a waiting child from China. Blessings to you!

Monica said...

Everyone in our house is allergic to cats- and we have 3. Reese may not be allergic, I can't remember. My allergist said the same thing with my reaction at the testing: can you get rid of the cats? Can you make them outdoor cats?

I basically told him he could shove it, the cats aren't going anywhere. :P

I take Zyrtec and that helps a LOT. My Nasonex helps bundles too. Between the two, I never have problems with my cats. I'm also allergic to dustmites, and, well, I think everyone is. LOL. Don't worry too much. I doubt you'll have to get rid of Bella. Could be worse, food allergies make reactions a lot worse than environmentals. :/

HUGS<

Monica