The girls made their annual birthday checkup trip to the doctor yesterday. November is a great time for a doctor visit because Erin Joy's birthday is in October and Rachel's birthday is in December.
Rachel still hasn't reached 40 pounds. She is below 1% in height and weight on the Caucasian growth chart (I still haven't checked the Asian chart, but she is generally below 25% on that chart too). Erin Joy, on the other hand, is 75% for height and 65% for weight on the Caucasian growth chart which means she weighs more than her sister and she is slightly taller. Rachel HATES being smaller than her sister. Erin Joy LOVES being bigger than her sister. I'm sure when they are teenagers, their feelings will be the exact opposite. I just hope they learn to love themselves for being exactly the way they are. I think they are both perfect:)
Rachel thinks she magically won't be the shortest person in her class when she turns seven next week. She excitedly told me the other day, "When I'm seven, I'll be really tall and I can wear 7T pants!"
I laughed and said, "Well, when you can finally wear your 4T pants without a belt maybe you can wear 7T."
She didn't think I was funny.
Anyway, back to the doctor visit......
I told the girls that the doctor gives them shots for their birthday presents. They were not amused.
Shots and finger pokes are not Rachel's favorite thing. She turns into a monster when she sees a needle. This year was much better than last year. Last year, she kicked, screamed, hit me, scratched me and knocked my glasses off before managing to fight her way off my lap and run around the clinic screaming. She ran out the door and into the parking lot before I managed to catch her. She made quite the scene.
I am not above bribery. I told them both that if they were as brave as they could be and didn't make a scene, we would have nachos at "Tinker Bell" (Taco Bell...one of their favorite fast food restaurants).
Poor Rachel. During her shots, she screamed loud enough to wake people napping in the neighboring town. She kicked a chair over in the examination room and let me know what an awful mother I was to make her endure such torture. The finger poke was no fun either. I had a death grip on her this time so she couldn't escape. She screamed, but at least she didn't kick me or manage to get off my lap.
Erin Joy handles shots and finger pokes much better than her older sister. It is a good thing she is the one who has to make frequent trips to Children's Hospital for laser treatments and not Rachel. She is used to being poked and prodded I suppose. Erin Joy's problem is the urine sample. She usually has a difficult time peeing in the cup. This time, however, she did great! I was grateful we didn't have to wait hours carrying around a cup waiting for her to do her thing.
I figured since Erin Joy peed in the cup so nicely and Rachel just screamed and knocked over one chair this time that they had earned their nachos.
Nachos are better than Tylenol for easing the pain of visiting the doctor.
While ordering nachos, I had the following conversation with the teenager behind the counter:
"Oh, that's too bad she has a burn on her face," the teenager says while pointing rudely at Erin Joy.
"It's not a burn. It's just a birthmark," I respond. (I'm tired of comments and questions. It rarely happen any more because her birthmark has faded so much with laser treatments and is hardly visible.)
"Oh, I bet that's just so embarrassing to have to walk around with THAT on your face."
Stupid girl.
"I'm NOT embarrassed. My daughter is NOT embarrassed. YOU should be embarrassed for saying such rude things to your customers. We'd like two nachos please." That ended the conversation.
Neither of my girls commented about the conversation. Thankfully, they were distracted by food. Nachos can ease not only physical pain but emotional pain as well.










2 comments:
Those Yangchun girls are definitely willowy!
too bad about the rude nacho teen.
you have to feel sorry for someone like that, she probably has no one nice in her life to teach her manners.
Yikes.... people can be so rude to say such a thing?? They do hire special needs kids at Tinker bell, that must be the excuse for such behavior. You are my hero for saying what you said.
Food really does heal all things...
Post a Comment