Friday, November 7, 2008

We're Still Dry

The river continues to be on flood watch, but at least it is a "watch" and not a "warning."  It crested last night at 12.9 feet (it will spill its banks at 14 feet).  I don't think we will have any flooding.  It is still raining heavily and is supposed to continue to rain throughout the day so we aren't out of the woods yet.


The girls and I spent about an hour or two putting everything up high so we are prepared for the flood season.  We have done this every year except 2006 when we were taken by surprise and ended up with over 3 feet of water in our garage.  We will never be taken by surprise again!


What kind of idiot buys a house in a flood zone?  Me.  I sure love this river when it's not flooding, but it gives me insomnia during the rainy/flooding season.  I'm grateful my house is built 6 feet up.  Some of my neighbors aren't as fortunate.  Flood waters have never reached my house, but just cleaning out the garage was enough for me.

Here is a memory of the 2006 flood:

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

So glad you are still dry, I hope it stays that way! Good luck, keep us informed!