
Our cat, Bella, is quite the hunter. She traumatized all of us, especially Erin Joy, when she caught a bird a few days ago. Poor Erin Joy carried it into the house and asked me to help the "little birdy." I screamed, grabbed her, and threw the bird outside where Bella continued to play with it. I then thoroughly washed Erin Joy's hands.
Erin Joy sobbed heart wrenching sobs. I held her, hugged her, but I couldn't get her to calm down for a long time. When she finally settled down enough to talk, she kept asking about the bird. I really wished I wouldn't have reacted the way that I did when she brought the bird into the house. If I would have been thinking properly, I would have calmly buried the bird and had a little service rather than unmercifully throwing it back outside where Bella was patiently waiting to continue the massacre. Anyway, I told Erin Joy that the bird was with Aunt June in heaven and was very happy now.
"Will Aunt June take care of the bird?"
"Yes, Aunt June loves birds. She used to feed them. Remember throwing peanuts to the Stellar Jays at her house?"
"Does Jesus love birds?"
"Yes. He once said, 'Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of you head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.' That means He really loves birds and He really loves you, Erin Joy." (I didn't quote it exactly at that moment....I looked it up later...Luke 12:6-7 and something similar in Matthew 10:29-31)
"Jesus loves birds?" she asked once again.
"Yes."
Then Rachel joins in, "Are there cats in heaven?"
"Yes."
"Do the cats in heaven eat the birds in heaven?"
" Thanks, Rachel. You're really not helping your sister calm down. Would you please leave? No, the cats don't eat the birds in heaven."
"What do they eat?" Rachel asked.
"What do you think they eat?" I love turning questions back to her because her responses are usually funny.
"I think they eat cat food. They probably have stores in heaven and the angels buy cat food."
By the time the conversation of cats and birds in heaven was over, Erin Joy had calmed down. When she said her prayers that evening, she asked God to let Aunt June take care of the bird Bella killed. She has continued to pray for the bird. She is so sweet and compassionate. Rachel, on the other hand, has forgotten all about the bird and is on to other things.
I appreciate all the mice and moles Bella has killed, but I am done feeding the birds. It seems cruel to put bird seed out to lure them to their death.
Bad Internet
1 day ago










0 comments:
Post a Comment