Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Laser Number Ten

Erin Joy was all smiles as she climbed into the car this morning. We didn't have to leave at 4:30 like the last laser. We even got to sleep in 30 minutes later than usual. Nice!

Traffic was good and we arrived at Children's Hospital in Seattle 10 minutes early. That hardly ever happens. Unfortunately, her doctor was behind schedule and we had to wait three hours from the time we checked in to the time she was taken back for surgery. They gave her "giggle juice" too early. She was terrible. She kept trying to get off my lap. I wasn't supposed to let her off my lap because the medicine makes her loopy and dizzy. I physically couldn't restrain her any longer and she forced her way off my lap. Sure enough....she fell about three or four times. She just giggled. She really acted drunk. By the time they took her back to surgery, the stuff had worn off and they wanted to give her more. No way! I had had enough of my daughter acting loopy. She was still smiles when they took her away.

Here she is all smiles on the way back to anesthesia. She took her special doll and towel with her. Notice the red spot. She gets eczema on her face. She kept scratching and it became infected. The doctor didn't laser around her eye this time and gave us two different ointments to help the eczema and control the infection. I hope it works.

She woke up fairly happy. She ate six Popsicles and drank a cup of apple juice. After being released, we went to the hospital cafeteria and she chose a huge cookie as her special treat. She licked all the frosting off and almost ate the whole cookie.

Usually, she sleeps all the way home. Not today. She jabbered and sang happily all the way home today. When we got home, she saw her face in the mirror and said, "I all black." I don't think she has ever noticed before. I told her that is what happens after laser and it will get lighter and help her birthmark be healthier. She said, "Oh, thank-you Mommy. You my genius." (This is her new word. She has no idea what it means.)

Now we are both off to bed....

2 comments:

Monica said...

But genius is a fun word.

Reese's 8th facial treatment is on the 26th. It'll be the 3rd on one of her legs. Last time, after Reese woke up horribly, trying to rip off the arm board that kept her from bending her wrist and messing up the IV, we went and ate Mexican. LOL. She loved it.

Good luck with the eczema.

Monica

bec said...

i agree that genius is a fun word. You're a genius, Erin Joy!

Her birthmark is looking good. I am glad that the doctor could just laser around the eczema spot.