Thursday, May 29, 2008

Happy Forever Family Day Erin Joy!

Today is Erin Joy's Forever Family Day! (I can't decide what to call it. Please vote for your favorite name in the poll.) I really don't like the term "gotcha." It sounds like somebody swatting a mosquito. It really isn't her official adoption day. That happened the next day on May 30th, but it was just a bunch of boring paperwork. Nothing like the moment I saw her for the first time. I think I can't decide what to call it because words don't begin to describe the emotions I felt that day and the emotions that Erin Joy felt.

Today Erin Joy placed a third ornament on her "Forever Tree." I gave her a panda this year in honor of the pandas who were also victims in the Sichuan earthquake. Notice the shirt she is wearing: "I was worth the wait." Yep. That's true. She was definitely worth the wait. Here is a very short (40 second) video with pictures of our special day set to the chorus of the song we listen to every year on this day.





Three years ago, I held Erin Joy for the first time. May 29, 2005 is a day I will never forget. I had waited so long. I had been looking at her picture for almost a year and anticipating the day I could finally hold her in my arms. She wasn't as excited to see me. When I look at old video and pictures, I see a very confused and scared toddler. She wanted nothing to do with me. I was just another transition. Just another person. She had lived in at least four other places before being adopted. She didn't know I was her mother. She didn't know I loved her and would never leave her. She didn't know that no matter how much she screamed, cried, bit me, kicked me, scratched me, and pushed me away I was there to stay.

Her behavior the first few weeks is so different from the sweet, kind, pleasant child I know today. As she placed an ornament on her "forever family tree," I was overcome with the feeling of love I have for her. She is my daughter. I love her more than words can express.

I made a little movie with pictures of our first day together, a few pictures from the past few years, and current pictures. I love you sweet Erin Joy!!

1 comments:

Monica said...

Happy Gotcha/Forever Day, Erin Joy! (And Mommy)

Monica