Saturday, January 3, 2009

San Diego Zoo Report

We saw three pandas and I have five blisters on my feet.  That sums up our trip to the zoo.


I was so excited to see Bai Yun.  She is my favorite.  She is the mother to several pandas in the San Diego zoo including several who have been returned to China.  Bai Yun sat and ate bamboo the entire time we were there.  She posed nicely for pictures while she was eating.  Her newest cub born in 2007, Zhen Zhen, slept in the tree the entire time we were there.  Zhen Zhen was bigger than I imagined.  We also saw Su Lin, another cub of Bai Yun's, who paced back and forth.  Seeing the pandas was the highlight for me.  I have seen pandas in the Washington DC zoo too, but I have never seen them in China.  We went to the Guangzhou zoo, but the pandas were on loan to another zoo at the time we were there.  I'd really like to go to WoLong panda sanctuary someday.

Rachel and Erin Joy said their favorite thing was the baby gorilla.  Frank was born in September 2008 and has been bottle fed by zoo keepers because his mother wouldn't nurse him.  He was so cute!  He had a little diaper on.  The girls wanted to hold him and I did too.

They also liked the sky ride that we went on three times and the little train ride.  The animal show was very entertaining too.  It wasn't as excited as the SeaWorld shows, but it was still very good.  We missed feeding the giraffes by a few minutes, but we did so many other fun things that the girls didn't mind.

I am very sad that we have to face reality and go home tonight.  I just checked the weather...yep...snowing.  Darn.  Oh well, it was nice to have a week of sunshine.   If houses weren't so expensive, I'd just move to San Diego.  I would probably miss all the trees of the Northwest.  Maybe I'd buy a winter house in San Diego and a summer house in the Northwest.  I'll look into it after I make my first million being a teacher.  It's always nice to dream...

0 comments: