Saturday, January 10, 2009

View From Above




Well, the county doesn't own any of the bank.  The house behind me is in foreclosure.  That could complicate things.  My insurance is coming on Tuesday.  I think what will ultimately happen is that my insurance is going to have to go after the bank or the insurance company from the house above me.  I hope they decide to fix it quickly and then fight about who will pay for it later.  The mud took some of the siding off the house.  That can't be good.  The mud and water will cause the siding to rot.  The water level has gone down, but the waterfalls continue to flow from the side of the bank.


The first slide left the bank steep, but more mud has come down and it looks kind of like a wedding cake now.  Maybe there are some landscaping opportunities?  I could create a waterfall garden or something.  I worked so hard to remove blackberries, make a little path, plant flowers, trees, roses, bulbs, and even bought a $200 gliding bench from the Amish.  It is now under mud and water.  I am hopeful that my lace leaf Japanese maple tree will survive being under water so long.  I really love that tree.  I know my dwarf apple tree is gone along with everything else.  The bank was covered with wild bleeding hearts in the spring.  I'm glad I have pictures to remember what it looked like.  

I hope it is fixed quickly.  I feel homeless and it is no fun.  My dream house by the river is no longer my dream house.  I now want a house in the city, far, far away from a flood zone...

2 comments:

lamamachina said...

wow, that is quite a mess! I can sympathize, we've been through several hurricanes.

There's no wrath like Mother Nature's.

I'm sure your homeowner's insurance will come thru.

Good luck, one day at at time.

lisa said...

Wow Stacey! I'm so sorry! Let us know if there is anything we can do. I have a friend on Facebook who has a condo for sale in Virgina!

Any news on who can fix it?