Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Facing My Phobia

I really, really dislike ladders. They scare me. I'm not sure why. I'm not fond of heights, but I'm not really scared of heights so I don't know why ladders scare me, but they do. I have never cleaned my gutters because of this phobia.

Anyway, I heard our cat making a horrible meowing noise yesterday morning and couldn't find her. As I pulled the car out of the driveway to drive to swimming lessons, I saw her on the roof. How in the world did that crazy cat get on the roof? She must have been in a tree near the house or something. I have no idea. Our roof is fairly high. (Our house is built six-feet up because of the crazy river across the street that floods every hundred years. That's why it has flooded twice since I have lived here. It seems like a hundred years.) I digress....as usual...back to the story...

Super Mom to the rescue! I got the ladder out and very shakily and slowly climbed up with my daughters encouraging me as I climbed. I suppose the cat really didn't want to be rescued because she ran from me. I had to beg and plead and coax her back to within arms length and then I grabbed her. She responded by jumping on my head and clawing my face. I'm glad nobody was around to take a picture of that...a cat on top of my head and me on top of the roof...it probably looked as ridiculous as it felt. Poor cat was terrified and I wasn't much better. Somehow we made it off the roof without any broken bones; just a lot of scratches. We were very late for swimming lessons.

Next time I'll call the fire department.

3 comments:

christine.le-maux said...

Yeah !!! Supermoms are the best !
Christine

bec said...

way to rescue the cat! our cat climbed up way in the tree, but luckily got down all by herself

Dan Ward said...

Stacey,
I'm with you on the fear of ladders. Getting on and off a roof scares me to death.

On the other hand I would have left the cat up there. If it was smart (or stupid) enough to get up there it would have figured a way down! :)