We just returned from an amazing trip to Welches, (near Mt. Hood and Portland) Oregon where we had a Yangchun Family Reunion. Over 200 people attended including the SWI (orphanage) director from Yangchun. Rachel is one of almost 800 children adopted internationally from Yangchun, Guangdong, China since 1995. We have a reunion every four years organized by some amazing adoptive mothers. I am so excited that the 2012 reunion will be held in Yangchun!!!
The SWI director, Ms. Yu, is an amazing woman. Watching her hug the children and genuinely enjoy their company was heartwarming. Sandra King is also an amazing woman. She is an adoptive parent with a daughter from Yangchun. She is originally from New Zealand, but has been living in China for 16 years (I think...) and has several houses for children who might not survive in an orphanage. She started "The House of Grace" near the Yangchun SWI and takes care of several children. She was able to attend the reunion and it was wonderful to meet her.
I can't even begin to express the emotion I felt seeing all the families and all the children from Yangchun. I was especially excited that 5 families from my travel group were able to be there. It was so fun to reconnect with them. It was almost as good as being in the White Swan Hotel when I traveled to China to adopt.
All the activities were fabulous. The girls enjoyed martial arts, Chinese art, dragon dancing, fan dancing, various craft projects, and other such activities.
Rachel's favorite things were playing with her friends, swimming in the hotel pool, and jumping on the hotel bed (sheesh....what kind of mother would allow their child to do that....)
Erin Joy's favorite things including going around and around the revolving doors in the lobby and hugging all the men. She attached herself to one of the fathers in our travel group. She was fascinated by his facial hair. She spent a lot of time sitting on his lap.
My favorite thing was talking with other adoptive parents. Everybody there was so friendly, open, and kind. What a great group of people! I especially enjoyed taking a little hike with our travel group during a break in the activities. I feel that these people are truly my family.
See if you can find Rachel in this picture!!!











0 comments:
Post a Comment