Thursday, December 18, 2008

I Don't Even Own a Snow Shovel

There is too much snow to play in.  I can't believe we still have electricity.  I trudged out in the snow to take pictures this morning and the snow was up to my knees.  We live in between two towns...one with 23" of snow and one with 6" of snow.  We have something in between.  There is too much snow to play in (according to my standards).  My girls don't even have snow boots.  I don't either.  The snow is higher than their rain boots and they would get full of snow quickly.  I'd probably lose a child in a snow drift.  Maybe if we were penguins or something....

I live in the Pacific Northwest where the winters are mild.  We usually get snow once or twice and it usually melts fast.  I have never seen snow like this since my childhood in Idaho.  This is NOT Idaho.  This is NOT Alaska.  Where is our mild winter?  Global warming come our way! (Actually, somebody told me that global warming would make our area colder because of the ice caps melting and bringing Arctic jet streams our way...they were probably right...)

It doesn't look like the snow will be leaving any time soon.  We will probably miss seeing Santa fly in by helicopter at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.  We will probably miss Winterfest and riding the holiday carousel.  We will probably miss seeing the lights at the botanical gardens in Bellevue.  We will probably miss the zoo lights.

Erin Joy is supposed to have a laser treatment at Children's Hospital on the 23rd.  I wonder if we can get out of our driveway by the 23rd.  We better be able to get out of our driveway by the 29th.  We have an appointment with Mickey Mouse in Disneyland!  It's not snowing there, but they sure have had a lot of rain.  It had better be sunny when we go!

Santa's reindeer practiced flying in the snow last night.  He left a gift for my girls.  He left a tea set that they can paint.  Hopefully, that will provide a little distraction and give them something to do.  They were so good being cooped up yesterday, but I know I'm pushing my luck to keep them entertained for much longer.

Another day with no school means more days to make up this summer.  Another day with no school means our science experiment snowflake crystals are growing out of control in my classroom.  Another day with no school means no fourth grade craft exchange.  Another day with no school means no gingerbread houses with our first grade buddies (Rachel's class).  I really would rather be in school that looking out my window....stuck in the house....

It is still snowing with no end in sight.  I have plenty of groceries so we are set.  Hopefully, the power doesn't go out.  Hopefully, my girls don't get cabin fever.  I have cabin fever.....I'm ready for spring.  Is winter over yet?

Opening an early gift from Santa:
Painting a tea set:
Rachel was mad at me for taking her picture because her tea set wasn't finished yet.
Snow last night on my red Japanese Maple Tree:
Snow this morning on my green Japanese Maple:
A tree--more like a big bush--heavy with snow fell on my swinging bench (just the corner of the bench so no damage done, but I'll have to borrow my neighbor's chainsaw to take care of it when the snow is gone).
Picnic table on Sunday:
Picnic table this morning:
Beautiful river across the street from my house:


Icicles on the river bank:

1 comments:

lamamachina said...

Wow, I can't even imagine what it's like. (I've only seen snow once in my entire life!)

It's really beautiful though