Wednesday, December 31, 2008

SeaWorld Report

I wish I could post pictures and I sure hope my memory card is big enough to hold many more pictures.  There is a Best Buy not too far from here, but I'd still have to take a taxi and pay more than I'd like for something I have 30 of at home.  I asked a few guests and the front desk, but nobody seems to have a USB cord.  Shucks.


SeaWorld was fabulous!  I really enjoyed the Shamu show.  I have been whale watching a few times, but never seen an orca close up before.  It was incredible.  We had the best seats in the place....in the exact middle, right up front.  When the whales came out of the water and landed on the platform, they were right next to us.  Incredible!  We were in the "soak zone" but we didn't get wet.  We were in a pocket that the whales missed when they splashed the audience.

It wouldn't have mattered if we had gotten wet because we were already soaked from an amusement ride that took us under a waterfall.  Rachel really wanted to go on the ride and as soon as we got on she started shouting, "Get me off!  I want out of here!"  Silly girl.  She got really mad at me when she got soaked.  Sheesh....it wasn't my fault!  All afternoon I listened to her complain about being wet.

We lost Erin Joy's jacket someplace.  It was a really nice denim, Strawberry Shortcake jacket that she really liked (thanks for hand-me-down clothes Aunt Erin....sorry we lost it and can't pass it down to you cousin Mallory).  We were very wet and cold.  Erin Joy wore my jacket so I was VERY wet and cold.  I thought about buying a jacket there, but then I saw the prices and decided to tough it out.

We also loved the sea lion/seal show.  It was very humorous.  We had front row seats for that one too...right in the "soak zone" and we did get a little wet.  The sea lions don't splash nearly as far as orcas so it wasn't a big deal.  Rachel was chosen to be a volunteer and I got great pictures...you can just imagine.

I spent $6.00 for a few sardines that the girls threw to the seals.  We were in line to feed the dolphins, but Rachel started complaining about the chirps the dolphins were making and didn't want to do it.  Erin Joy had to go to the bathroom so we gave up on feeding the dolphins and I saved $6.00.

We missed the dolphin show.  We had just enough time to either go to the dolphin show or go to the Sesame Street "Bay of Play."  Guess what the girls voted for.  I was out voted.  They went on silly little rides similar to the ones we went on at Disneyland on Monday.  Erin Joy especially enjoyed Elmo's flying fish and Rachel loved Abby's sea star spin (just like the teacup ride).  We also enjoyed a fabulous Sesame Street show.  I'm sure the dolphin show was fabulous, but watching my girls play was great too.

I really enjoyed the bus ride to San Diego because our bus driver talked about the area and even got off the freeway for a quick drive around an old mission that my father would have loved.  It was built in 1776 and is now in ruins because of an earthquake in the 1800s.  It was very interesting and I took pictures through the bus window.  My dad has probably already been there, but the pictures are for him just in case.  He likes stuff like that and I had to admit it, but the older I get, the more like my father I am becoming....

I learned the origin of the name "Orange County."  It was originally "Bean County" because beans are the leading crop here.  Walt Disney felt that people wouldn't want to come to Disneyland if it was in Bean County so he started a petition to have the name changed to either Orange, Lemon, or Olive.  Orange won.  I'm very glad orange won because our hotel has orange scented everything.  I am really enjoying my orange scented shampoo and lotion.  It would be terrible if it were bean scented.

That's enough of a report.  We are off to Disneyland.  The girls are dressed and ready to go and telling me to hurry.  I'm ready to go back to bed.  I am tired and I have a sunburn.  Crazy.  I don't think I've ever had a sunburn in December.  I have been careful to put sunscreen on Erin Joy's birthmark, but I have neglected Rachel and myself.  Ooops....I guess we need sunscreen too.  I wonder if it is still snowing at our house?  I wonder if we still have 2 feet of slush preventing trash pickup and mail delivery?  Actually, I don't really care....I'm having too much fun.  

0 comments: